Sunday, April 10, 2011

4-9-11 - "Ragged Wood" ~ Fleet Foxes

This song is full of beautiful harmonies, singing lyrics of springtime love and how it should feel.  Amazing stuff, although it's probably even better when heard in the context of the entire album "Fleet Foxes / Sun Giant" (the Sun Giant EP was included as disc 2 of the deluxe edition, and I think it flows well leading out of the LP...)  Such a great album.  Highly recommend.  




"Lie to me if you will, at the top of Barringer Hill;
tell me anything you want, any old lie will do,
call me back to you..."



PS - the title of the song is likely inspired by the following poem:



The Ragged Wood
William Butler Yeats


O hurry where by water among the trees
The delicate-stepping stag and his lady sigh,
When they have but looked upon their images -
Would none had ever loved but you and I!


Or have you heard that sliding silver-shoed
Pale silver-proud queen-woman of the sky,
When the sun looked out of his golden hood? -
O that none ever loved but you and I!


O hurty to the ragged wood, for there
I will drive all those lovers out and cry -
O my share of the world, O yellow hair!
No one has ever loved but you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment