Wednesday, April 20, 2011

4-20-11 - "2.99 Blues" ~ Regina Spektor

I love Regina Spektor's catalogue.  She's a talented pianist, plays some diverse styles, and is not afraid to be weird and unique rather than a cookie-cutter carbon copy of a dozen other acts out there.  Her vocal stylings, in particular, are unlike any other artist I've heard, and that adds a layer of intrigue for me.  This one's definitely a bit strange, but super catchy, and with lyrics worth pondering.  Some of the verses are actually pretty heavy, despite the upbeat melody...




"but in the furthest place I've ever known 
where even I so rarely roam 
there lives a boy who just come back from war 
his flesh was wounded but he made it back home 
his mother calls him by his given name 
and the neighbors whisper how he prefers to be alone 
and he gets nightmares about boys dripping blood
sold for 2.99 a gallon..."

No comments:

Post a Comment