Tuesday, March 1, 2011

3-1-11 - "The Great Collapse" ~ The Zolas

In honour of the band that should have won Album of the Year at tonight's Verge Music Awards (i.e. Canadian music...), here's one from The Zolas.  These guys blew me away when I first heard them last year, and I'm just waiting for the chance to see them play live.  So far, they haven't made it all the way to PA from their base camp in British Columbia... next time they hit Eastern Canada though, I'm there.


In addition to the groovy chords and syncopated piano rhythms, I love how they break it down for the chorus in this one.  The song is about short-lived relationship which burned brightly but fizzled, or perhaps the end of the world as we know it, or perhaps both...



"The seas rose to a terrible height,
but we survived, yeah we survived..."

No comments:

Post a Comment