Sunday, March 27, 2011

3-27-11 - "Saucy Sailor" ~ The Wailin' Jennys

I spent the weekend at my parents' house, with my three brothers all there as well.  On my way back into the city tonight, I listened to Thistle and Shamrock, a pretty cool show which "explores evolving music from Celtic roots in Europe and North America."  When I got home, I looked up Scruj MacDuhk, one of the bands featured on the show, and couldn't find much in the way of audio from that band, but I poked around and found The Wailin' Jennys, one of whose members was also part of Scruj MacDuhk.  I guess you have to be open to and/or in the mood for certain types of music, so hopefully you'll give this one a shot, or come back on another day when you're feeling more Celtic... but come on, any band whose name is a clever pun based on the name of an American musical legend has to be pretty cool, right?


I like the chord progressions in this one; they're a bit more fun than your standards, and although it's not a straight up Celtic tune by any stretch, it does evoke a bit of that feel.  Also, three-part harmonies, which of course are my favorite, except for four- or five-part harmonies!  At any rate, it's a fun tune with a humorous tale of the titular yeoman and a sweet seaport lass.  Check it out.




"I will cross the briny ocean,
I will whistle and sing;
and since you've refused the offer, love,
some other girl shall wear the ring..."

No comments:

Post a Comment