Sunday, July 24, 2011

7-24-11 - "Sweetness" ~ Jimmy Eat World

Oh, just a sweet little track from around the time I headed to college by a little band from Arizona... 


Some might say the song is about drugs; some say it's about a broken heart and the girl who caused it.  I say it's about Mike&Ikes:




But seriously, I'm not sure, because the "little sweet and simple numbing me" could be a kiss, or it could be cocaine, or whatever.  I just like the song.  Perhaps the most interesting musical element for me is the chord selection, mostly in the verses where I keep expecting the guitars to hit with a major after each line but it's some kind of dissonant minor.  And yet the song still comes across with an upbeat sound, especially towards the end...




"So tell me what do I need,
when words lose their meaning?"

No comments:

Post a Comment