Saturday, July 16, 2011

7-15-11 - "Kids" ~ MGMT

I loved this song without ever really considering the lyrics, but tonight I pondered them and it kind of hit me hard.  I'm still not sure exactly what it means, but it definitely is more than just a catchy tune, and some of the lines are quite good.


The music video is fairly disturbing, showing members of society as monsters as seen through the eyes of a small child.  No worries, though: "No children were harmed in the making of this video."  I think the video helps bring to light some of the meaning of the song.  Wikipedia says, "the music video seems to personify the corruption of an innocent child by society, society being the monster, or 'the abyss' as stated in the beginning of the music video."  As I said, disturbing, but poignant.




"The memories fade
like looking through a fogged mirror
decision to decisions are made and not bought
but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot
I guess not..."

No comments:

Post a Comment