Tuesday, July 19, 2011

7-19-11 - "Place In This World" ~ Michael W. Smith

So we're going a bit sentimental tonight.  This song peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1991 (or so).  My elementary school choir sang it.  It's quintessential early-90s pop.  MWS was my favorite artist at the time (hmm, I already told you that, if you've been reading for a while).


The reason I'm using one of Smith's songs tonight is that I'm in his hometown of Kenova, WV (by the way, it's so named because it's at the juncture of KEN(tucky)-O(hio)-(West) V(irgini)A.  Slick, huh?  But anyway, my company has our manufacturing plant in Kenova, so I've been hanging out in a hot, humid warehouse near the Dreamland Pool, and eating lunch at Griffith & Feil Soda Fountain / Pharmacy.  We sat at a table with Smith's photo next to it:




So yeah, kinda cool for me to be in the hometown of a musical hero of mine.  Small town America at its finest.  And here's the song; it's kind of sappy, but it expresses the feelings of a young person with a whole life ahead, who's not quite sure what to do with it just yet, so it still rings true for me to this day.




"If there are millions
down on their knees;
among the many,
can you still hear me?
Hear me asking,
'Where do I belong?'
Is there a vision
that I can call my own?"
______________________________________

Top Secret BONUS FOOTAGE: 

Holy wow, thanks to the miracle of YouTube "related videos", I just discovered that MWS teamed up with the Jonas Brothers on this song at a concert in Nashville a couple years ago.  You know, if you're into that sort of thing...


(those JoBros play mean shakers, no?  lol... the internets are wonderful things!)

No comments:

Post a Comment