Thursday, June 9, 2011

6-9-11 - "What About Them" ~ John Reuben

I've had it on my mind to do this one for a while now, but didn't want to just gloss over it, so I waited until I had some time to think this post through.  Let me preface this by saying that my main goal with this blog is always to highlight music that I enjoy for various reasons - the beat, the instrumentation, the harmonies, deep lyrics, sappy romantic lyrics, challenging lyrics, sometimes humorous lyrics... I'm not trying to promote an agenda, just to chronicle my own journey through life via music, and perhaps introduce you readers to a new artist you may grow to love, or to a song that will change your perspective on life.  This song, however, has had a profound impact on me, so I'm going  to go into detail as to what it means to me; read on if you like but don't feel obligated.


(here's the song; feel free to listen while you read my ramblings below, or skip the rant and just enjoy the music)


I grew up in a Christian home, going to church three times a week.  I still consider myself a Christian, but there is a lot about American Christianity with which I struggle.  This song pretty much explains my thought process.  America was founded on the principles of freedom from tyrannical rule, but as the country developed and expanded, the European transplants waged war on those who already were living across the land.  And look where America is today.  A bloated government monster machine exists solely to keep itself fat and happy.  The ever-growing cycles of debt and taxation are staggering; the wars are fought over questionable causes, the populace live for entertainment, blissfully unaware of the tragedies of the world and within our own country.  We'd rather worry about whom to vote for on American Idol than worry about the hungry woman sleeping under a highway overpass on a 13-degree winter's night.  We'd rather watch LeBron or Tiger get their comeuppance than read about the nuclear crisis in Japan, the uprising in Cote d'Ivoire (or a number of other countries), or the natural disasters across the globe.  We'd rather get lost in <insert sitcom / medical show / crime drama here> than get involved in helping the people suffering due to these natural and human-inflicted problems.


It's all too easy to get wrapped up in "the American Dream" - go to college, get a job, find a spouse, have 2.5 kids, you know the schtick.  It's all too easy for the Christians in America to ignore the sermon on Sunday morning by thinking about kickoff between the Steelers and Browns in a few short hours, and to salve their consciences by dropping a check in the offering plate and sending $20 a month to the kid whose photo is on the fridge.  It's all too easy... but that doesn't make it right.  I'm all for reaping what you sow (i.e. - the capitalist mindset that hard workers should see the rewards of their labors), and it's nice to have a nice house and some other comforts.  But how do I justify buying a big screen TV when I already have a working TV (or three), and there are people all along the Mississippi whose homes were just destroyed by floods?  How do I rationalize dropping $45 on a concert or $100 on tickets to a sporting event when there are people in my own city (to say nothing of the rest of the world) who haven't had a meal today?  The only answer I have is by putting it out of mind completely.


So, what am I trying to say here?  If you're a Christian, don't let complacency, apathy, and the plush comforts of your privileged life take hold - take every opportunity to help those less fortunate, and never take for granted the many blessings in your life.  If you're not a Christian, don't let the actions (or inaction) of ignorant American Christians color your judgment of all believers or the true message of Christianity.  Over history, many evils have been committed "in the name of Christ" (and in the name of other religions), and in the present day, one of the greatest is apathy toward the plight of our fellow man.  But there are Christians in this world who truly sacrifice their own pleasures and comforts to serve others.  Read up on the persecuted church in China for one example.  And don't just think this song is speaking to Christians - no matter your beliefs, you need to stand up for them and live out the principles in making the world a better place.  I'm not necessarily saying we should all abandon everything we own and send every cent to help the aforementioned afflicted people; but I think most of us could cut back on the $4 coffees and think a little harder before signing up for the super premium cable package or $50/month data plan for our phones.  Live life, enjoy it, but don't forget about those who haven't been as fortunate as you.


PS - I'm speaking to myself here as much as anyone else.  I constantly find myself taking my cushy life for granted and failing to live out my faith by helping those in need.  Just a disclaimer; I'm not condemning anyone nor pointing fingers...


PS2 - I promise I won't be so depressing and preachy tomorrow.


"what a prosperous, wondrous place
remember to say grace before we scrape our plates..."

No comments:

Post a Comment