Tuesday, June 14, 2011

6-14-11 - "Wavin' Flag" ~ K'naan

American History Pop Quiz: What is the origin of Flag Day?  I bet Wikipedia will tell us!  Yay for flags!  I love flags, and have a small collection from countries I've visited... plan on expanding that soon!


Today being Flag Day was a convenient way for this song to pop into my head, and I figured I'd roll with it.  K'naan has some pretty good songs, and this one just might be my favorite.  It's a depressing yet hopeful look at the strife in Somalia (K'naan's native land).




Also, here's a version that came out last year as an unofficial World Cup anthem.  It's a little peppier and poppier but also good, just presents a different mood:


(there's even a version with Justin Bieber, but you're gonna have to go find that one for yourself...)


"Out of the darkness, I came the farthest
out of the hardest survival
Learn from these streets, it can be bleak,
accept no defeat, surrender retreat..."

No comments:

Post a Comment