Monday, September 5, 2011

9-5-11 - "Mykonos" ~ Fleet Foxes

I have not posted a Fleet Foxes song since April, and they're pretty great, so here's another.  It might be my favorite track of theirs.  From the opening strains of melancholy guitar, I'm hooked every time.  The harmonic wordless vocals set an eerie tone, and from Robin Pecknold's first lyrics, the foreboding hangs thick in the air.


Rumor has it the song is about a brother who has lost his way; Mykonos seems to represent either a safe haven - redemption from "the mess (he) made" - or perhaps a false salvation.  The "vision of a gentle coast" and "sun to maybe dissipate" lines evoke the haven, but something about the other lyrics hints that Mykonos may not be the paradise the subject seeks, after all...


(the paper art music video was made by Sean Pecknold; who, if my limited internet research is accurate, is the "brother" to whom the song refers...)


"Brother you don't need to turn me away
I was waiting down at the ancient gate..."

No comments:

Post a Comment