Friday, September 2, 2011

9-1-11 - "Red Hollow Road" ~ Big Snow Big Thaw

Saw these folks down at Howler's tonight.  Turns out Dani, the drummer from one of my favorite local bands, Big Hurry, rocks the percussion for another Big Band also.  The styles are not quite opposite endes of the spectrum, but perhaps something like fuchsia vs. chartreuse.  A brisk walk dahn the Bloomfield Bridge was worth the effort, as the boys and girl of Big Snow Big Thaw brought a foot-stompin' bluegrassy party to Pittsburgh's Little Italy.  


Sorry to say I wimped out and didn't stick around for Hotel Lights and Sleepy V, but hey, I'm a corporate whore headed to work by 7:30 and as it is I'm up after midnight.  It's on my to-do list to make it up to those bands by checking them out.  Also to come into some money so I can just go to shows and not worry about being up for work in the morning...


Anyway, about the song.  I haven't quite had an epiphany about the precise meaning of the lyrics just yet, but there's clearly some intense stuff going on, what with the devil, desert sun, never meeting his love, and foreboding talk of graves.  


"Red Hollow Road" ~ Big Snow Big Thaw (bandcamp - 2 free tracks, although not this one, or you can just get the whole 8-song dual EP for $5)


"...boy, I got this demon beat..."

No comments:

Post a Comment