Wednesday, September 21, 2011

9-21-11 - "Nightswimming" ~ R.E.M.

I don't believe I ever heard a song by R.E.M. that I didn't like.  Full disclosure: I never really got into them beyond their radio hits, but some of those were really good and I don't know why I didn't check them out more.  Maybe now is the time, seeing as they just called it quits today (after 31 years - wow!) I definitely love the band's name; the acronym certainly stands for some pretty sweet things (the Egyptian fish god is legit, but rapid eye movement is still my favorite.)


This is probably not considered to be one of their biggest hits, but I like it alot.  The piano sets the stage for the nostalgic look at carefree, idyllic nights of youth enjoying life.  There are some undertones of darker themes, but primarily it seems to be recalling simpler times.  


Live on Jools Holland:


Album:


R.I.P., R.E.M.


"September's coming soon
I'm pining for the moon
and what if there were two,
side by side in orbit,
around the fairest sun...?"

No comments:

Post a Comment