Monday, September 19, 2011

9-19-11 - "Ring Of Fire" ~ Johnny Cash

Two years ago, I was out of town the weekend my brother and friends went to Johnny Cash Day - a celebration of The Man, The Myth, The Music at a local Elks Club on (or around) the anniversary of his passing.  My friends were into Johnny Cash Day before it was cool, and I missed out back in '09.  Last year, I vowed not to let that happen again.  It was a great event, but word had gotten out and it was packed to the point where you couldn't get a chair and it was difficult to even navigate around the room.  But it was well worth it to hear some great covers of Cash's music, and because I won this:


(in '09, our friend Lindsay won a similar print - back to back winners!)


Hatch Show Prints are printed on Broadway in Nashville, and have been since 1879; this is a replica of an original poster, but it's pretty awesome and hangs in my music room by my piano.


This past Saturday was the 2011 JCD, and I missed it due to failure to purchase a ticket before they sold out.  I'm sure it was great like last year, and I'm sure several of the performers covered "Ring Of Fire" like last year.  (my favorite version was by Mark Williams; he did a more unique take on it and shifted some chords to minors for an interesting vibe.)  It's one of Cash's most popular songs, due to the catchy tune and lyrics to which most folks can relate.  Well, sort of - it was written by June Carter about her relationship with Cash whilst both of them were married (or divorcing) other spouses.  Tough situation, that.  So not everyone has ditched one lover for another, but the part about how love is all-consuming rings true for pretty much everyone...


Live performance 1963 (By the way, I love the Mexican horns!) - you can find other live performances online too


Record version:


"The taste of love is sweet
when hearts like ours meet
I fell for you like a child
oh, but the fire ran wild..."

No comments:

Post a Comment