Monday, September 12, 2011

9-12-11 - "Shores" ~ Paul Luc

Thanks to DrawUsLines, I won free tickets to a show last night that I intended to attend anyway.  Everything came up Milhouse yesterday... except that pathetic performance by the Steelers, which we'll not discuss here.  I went to see 1,2,3, a Pittsburgh band whose work I recently discovered, but was pleasantly surprised by the first band as well.  Paul Luc is another local dude who got some other dudes together to be in his eponymous band.  (Yes, I'm pretty proud of myself for dropping "eponymous" on my blog.  Gold star for me!)


It's always tricky to gauge an entire set of music you've never heard before; I liked most of what they did but I couldn't really tell you much about most of the songs after one listen.  Certainly liked it enough to pick up an album and give it some more spins though.  They did play one song that grabbed me instantly, possibly because it was pretty low-key musically which allowed me to grasp the lyrics.  It's a fairly introspective song, seemingly about fighting to survive in a cruel world and the hope of finding redemption and/or love.


Here's a performance they did on local TV station KDKA last New Year's Eve - acoustic and with just Luc on guitar and John Rokosz on keys:


Start at 1:22 if you want to skip the mini-interview and get straight to the song.


Check out the band's website for the studio version and some other tracks.


"I was out in the cold
I was a product you sold
my hair turned white
and the streets turned gold"

No comments:

Post a Comment