Tuesday, August 16, 2011

8-16-11 - "Blues Run The Game" ~ Jackson C. Frank

Simple but elegant commentary on the futility of life.  Kind of a downer, I suppose.  You get over it though, because the beauty of the music overpowers the depressing nature of the lyrics, and hey, what are the blues without tragedy and despair?  And if you want a deeper appreciation for tragedy and despair, read a little of Frank's life story... wow.  Makes me think twice about complaining because I was stuck at work for an extra hour today...




"Well we're living a life of sin..."
______________________________


A plethora of covers are out there, from Simon & Garfunkel to Laura Marling to Colin Meloy (of The Decemberists) to Robin Pecknold (of Fleet Foxes) to John Mayer.  I'm sure some of them are swell, but I'm sticking with the original for tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment