Thursday, August 18, 2011

8-18-11 - "Here's Your Future" ~ The Thermals

This is the leadoff track from an intriguing quasi-concept album described by the band as telling "the story of a young couple who must flee a United States governed by fascist faux-Christians."  The album is chock full of Biblical references used to paint the picture of the tyrannical government.   As a Christian myself, lyrics like these are challenging, because while I believe Christianity isn't intended to result in this sort of tale, it (and other religions) have often been twisted and corrupted to further political gains.  I don't want to get into politics on this site, but it's obvious that "Christian" politicians have used that as leverage to further personal and party agendas that don't really jive with the faith they purport to hold.

Whether The Thermals were intending to directly call out Christianity or were merely using themes of the Flood and other Biblical stories as a backdrop for their commentary on present-day politics is not clear.  However, even if you or I don't agree with what they're saying, what I love about songs (and albums) like this is that they challenge you to think.  Don't just accept what's spoon-fed to you, whether it's religion, politics, music, or anything else.  Engage your mind, do your research, and come to your own conclusions.

Plus, the music just rocks.

Album version:

Live version (lame crowd, but it actually makes for a good youtube vid as you can hear the band clearly):

"God told his son, 'it's time to come home
I promise you won't have to die all alone
I need you to pay for the sins I create'
His son said, '
I will, but Dad, I'm afraid!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment