Wednesday, August 17, 2011

8-17-11 - "Haile Selassie" ~ Bright Eyes

The more I listen to Bright Eyes, the more Conor Oberst's songwriting blows my mind.  The lyrical intricacies and depth are astounding.  If you want to get what he's saying, you should probably read the lyrics while you listen - it's hard to keep up otherwise; and maybe also read up on the life of the song's namesake (a messianic figure in the Rastafarian religion.)


The song is catchy and comes across as hopeful, despite the cynical nature of some of the lyrics referring to atomic bombs and the next Caesar.  It's part of an overall theme on The People's Key, an album I highly recommend you check out.  


Give it a listen, if you have time to spend reflecting on the lyrics, do it, and let me know what you think:




"We are the chosen people
Safe from the next evil
One Love, magnetic memory
Reel after reel spinning within me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment