Saturday, August 6, 2011

8-5-11 - "Hook" ~ Blues Traveler

Time for the '90s at... whatever time it is.  The song "Hook" is not catchy at all, I just like the lyrics.  (thanks to Empty Netters for the link.)  But yea, Blues Traveler may not be everyone's cup of tea - my college roommate was not a fan - but then again, there are a few people in the world who don't like the Beatles, U2, or (dare I say it?) Lady Gaga.  So I'll continue to post songs I like, and let you decide whether they're awesome to you, too...

I really do like the lyrics on this one, though.  It's a biting commentary on the shallowness of society and the entertainment industry, and perhaps also on the weak-minded nature of the masses being reeled in again and again by hollow and trite diversions.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm ok with a song that "says nothing so far" but has a good hook... but seriously, with some of the stuff that's "top 40" these days ("tell me what's next, alien sex?" ...really, Kanye?) I worry about the children.  Bottom line is, Blues Traveler have convictions and they're standing by them.  They want their songs to mean something AND be catchy, and I think they succeeded here.  If you really listen to the lyrics, there are numerous layers of brilliance to be gleaned.

But the video is a little creepy:


"I'll do as I'll decide and let it ride until I've died
And only then shall I abide this tide
Of catchy little tunes
Of hip three minute ditties
I want to bust all your balloons
I want to burn all of your cities
To the ground..."
________________________________

Oh, by the way, if the chord progression sounds familiar, Rob Paravonian will explain why (in hilarious fashion):

(the use of a classical composition with a "hook", and the fact that so many other hit songs ripped Pachelbel's chord progression, just adds to the brilliance of the song, don't you think?)

No comments:

Post a Comment