Sunday, May 15, 2011

5-15-11 - "Virgin" ~ Manchester Orchestra

I don't usually watch late shows, but I happened to DVR Letterman the other night to watch Jim Parsons (Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory - great show!)  Just so happened that Manchester Orchestra was on, performing this song.  I'd heard of them but never heard them, but this song was pretty cool.  They had the Brooklyn Youth Chorus backing them up, which made for a pretty sweet setup.  The kids' voices just add a haunting layer to the chorus... it almost has a bit of a Nirvana vibe, actually...


The song seems to deal with the fleeting nature of life and the entropic fashion in which the creations of mankind crumble.  Probably allegorical, no?


Album version:


Live on Letterman:


"In time I swore I'd take the straight and narrow path but still won't...


We built this house with our hands, and our time, and our blood
You build this up in one day to fall downward and rust..."

No comments:

Post a Comment