Sunday, January 2, 2011

It Starts... (or, "Do you dig where I'm coming from?")


In July of 2010, I went on a pretty amazing trip to the Pacific Northwest.  Within a 10-day span, I flew into Seattle, drove to B.C. for my first visit to Vancouver (a glorious city, by the way), headed back to Washington to spend some great times with incredible cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and my immediate family, and also some relatives from Holland, saw a soccer game with 33,000 of the best fans in America, saw a great World Cup Final, spent a few days at the beach on Whidbey Island, hiked all the way to within sight of the top of Mt. Baker, finally (after numerous previous trips to WA) got to spend a day just wandering around Seattle and seeing some of the sights which have evaded me in said numerous previous trips, and heard some epic new music and bands whilst driving around Washington and British Columbia to all of these places and events.  All of this was tempered by the news from back home in PA that our great aunt, who had been very close with my family and almost like a fifth grandparent, had passed away.


Somewhere during the emotional highs and lows of that trip, a belief which I've held for years crystallized in my mind - music is interwoven into our lives, and has the power to express every aspect of humanity, to bring us into each others' experiences, to allow us to empathize with the sorrows of life, and to remind us of the joys therein.  When I find myself depressed or angry, there's music to fit the mood.  Yet, no matter how much life throws at me, I have but to turn on a certain song or band and my spirits are lifted immediately.  I decided that since music means so much to me, I should make a conscious effort to reflect on this daily, and to perhaps share it with others.  Thus began my "Awesome Song of the Day" series - initially shared through the wonder of Facebook, but now brought to you on the grandest scale - the weblog.


I make no promises here; you may love the songs I post or hate them, you may not agree with them politically or spiritually, you may hear language of which you do not approve, I may miss a day (or several) when things get busy or I'm in Podunk, WV for a business trip and don't have internet access.  All I can say is that I'll try to bring you songs that have some value - be it sweetly flowing verse, deep philosophical thought, innovative sounds or rhythms, or simply catchy/happy beats to cheer you up.  I'll try to shine light on some lesser-known bands whom I've grown to love, and I may showcase bands for whom you care not.  I may do several songs by the same band (although I'll try to space them out), because certain bands just strike a chord in me (get it?), and their lyrics and/or music just resonate with my soul.  


On the presumption that people ever read, follow, or listen to this blog and the music within, I welcome musical recommendations.  I can't promise I'll like it or post it, but I'll certainly give it a chance.  I learned a few years ago not to hold preconceptions about music - friends recommended a band, and based on their description I was incredulous at best, but I went to see them (for free) at the Three Rivers Arts Festival, was instantly hooked, and they're now one of my favorite bands.  So if you stumble across this site, please comment with thoughts on the music, and please feel free to throw out some bands and songs for me to check out.


Sufficiently long and rambly introduction to what this blog is about?  I think so.  It's a magical world; let's go exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment