Wednesday, January 12, 2011

1-12-11 - "Arizona" ~ Rachael Johnson

On a business trip in Nashville right now.  Went downtown to Broadway to grab some Jack's BBQ on a friend's recommendation (it's excellent, by the way).  Wandered down the street a bit, saw the Hatch Show Print store, then some live music caught my ear.  It was a fairly seedy and nearly empty establishment, but this girl was just sitting there with an acoustic six-string, and her voice was enough for me to stick around a while.  


It's to be expected that live music in Nashville has a bit of a country feel to it.  Not always my cup of tea, but in this case, it was all right by me.  Really depends on the style, voice, and lyrics (as with any genre for me) - certain country artists are not bad at all, just like I can appreciate certain rappers.  But others just grate on my eardrums... fortunately Rachael Johnson wasn't one of those...


She's a relative unknown so far, but I enjoyed sitting there listening to her sing and watching a little college hoops for a bit.  Maybe you'll like her, too...



Video quality isn't spectacular, but here's a live performance as well: 




"And this cold Eastern sun
cannot be the same one
that's keeping you warm in Arizona..."


EDIT 5-19-12 - I caught Rachael and her band at Honky Tonk Central a few weeks back whilst back in Nashville for follow-up work on the project.  Here she is performing "Arizona" (by my request - it's definitely my favorite of her songs...) :



No comments:

Post a Comment