Wednesday, November 30, 2011

11-30-11 - "Santa Fe" ~ Beirut

Beirut is an interesting band.  I haven't yet fully explored their catalog, but what I've heard, I've enjoyed.  However, I say "interesting" because it's not necessarily the kind of stuff that grabs you at the first measure and doesn't let you go, and it's not necessarily easy to grasp the depth of the songs without giving it some time to digest.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't some totally obscure and inaccessible music, it's definitely pleasing to the ears; but neither this track nor Elephant Gun (nor several others) are simple and straightforward lyrically, and it may take a few listens to really get into the music (but it's worth it!)  So you either have to be in the mood to get into some thought, or just enjoy the music and not worry about the meaning.


This one seems to have to do with more than just the actual town of Santa Fe (although singer/songwriter Zach Condon hails from the town).  I kind of concur with some of the folks on songmeanings.net, who think it may be a dual meaning - being called home both physically and spiritually.  "Santa Fe" means "holy faith" in Spanish, and I can definitely see the parallels in the lyrics.


The town is overlooked by the Cross of the Martyrs, which may be the cross referenced in the song... or not.  Pretty sweet looking though, no?


(photo borrowed from grumpygrimble on Panoramio)


Then you have the music video, which has some dark moments but conveys a message through them.  It doesn't necessarily directly parallel the song's lyrics, but then again, maybe it does...




And just because I can, here's a live performance too:



"On the cross, Santa Fe
and all I want
sign me up, Santa Fe
and call your son…"

No comments:

Post a Comment