Monday, November 7, 2011

11-7-11 - "You Really Got A Hold On Me" ~ Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Oldie, but a goodie tonight.  A little Motown soul for you, brought by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles.  These guys were one of the founding acts on the Motown label, and Smokey was known as the "King of Motown", so I guess that means they weren't half bad.  Also, did you know that "Motown" is a portmanteau?  What's a portmanteau, you ask?  It's a blend of two or more words into one new word. (thanks, Wikipedia!)  We strive for nothing if not education here at Awesome Song of the Day... 


Oh so smoothly, they sing a tune about a dysfunctional relationship they just can't quit.  Seems like when it's good, it's really good, but when it's bad, it's... not so good.  But hey, life is pain, pain breeds art, and art makes life good, so it all works out, eh?


(looks like The Miracles had a few screws loose.... oh, sometimes I slay myself!)



"I want to leave you
Don't want to stay here
Don't want to spend another day here
Though I want to split now
I can't quit now
You've really got a hold on me…"

No comments:

Post a Comment