Sunday, January 29, 2012

1-29-12 - "Love You Now" ~ Madi Diaz

A lot of times, I go with the upbeat, catchy single when first posting an artist on this site.  I was tempted to do the same with Madi Diaz, but I'm going a different direction (I can always post more of her stuff later.)  My buddy and I basically just discovered Diaz by checking the Club Cafe concert calendar and reading a writeup in the Pittsburgh City Paper, and dropped by her show last Wednesday.  It was a near miss, as we both had had a lot going on and were not really in the mood to go out to a midweek show, but we sucked it up and ended up having a great time.


Diaz has a voice that grips you, and her partnership with guitarist/songwriting collaborator Kyle Ryan manages to fill the stage and the room like an aurora fills the sky.  Diaz uses a synthesizer to flesh out the sound while playing acoustic guitar, creating a rich background for the vocals.


This song relays the emotions of a somewhat one-sided relationship; Diaz wants more but her counterpart displays inconsistent maturity and fails to put forth the effort to develop a deeper connection.  The gentle indie-pop chording sets the foundation for the crescendo of emotion as Diaz wrestles with the delicate situation and exhorts her lover to go all in.


Live at Club Cafe:


Solo performance live in studio:


Album version (you can find the whole album on madidiaz's youtube channel - well worth a listen!):


"So am I fighting a boy, or am I fighting a man
which side will I see when you show up again
the man don’t wanna tell me but at least he’ll try
'cause the boy ain’t hanging 'round tonight..."




EDIT 2-1-12 - get Madi's new album, Plastic Moon, on Amazon for $5 throughout the month of February.  It's legit.

No comments:

Post a Comment